Friday 7 September 2012

His presence in my day


This morning I meditated on a theme Chiara gave ​​in June '58 entitled "God." She explains where I find God listing all the various ways he is present. It is amazing how present God is in my day! 

  1. He is present in my conscience. I wake up and first of all begin to talk to him in my morning prayer, to re-establish my relationship with him. I meetthank him for the sleepless night, the general malaise and offering all this for our council meeting tomorrow. I thank  him for my life, for the sun, for the health I have, but also tell him how much I love him, "because you are forsaken Jesus ..!" It is my reason to be here. Not a formula, but a real conversation. 
  2. I find you in my brother or sister. I go downstairs for breakfast and meet Callan. I share how I tried to live the night as a gift for Jesus. This sharing is not a routine, but it is real, perhaps a bit of an effort, a bit of hard work, because I have not had my coffee yet and am not fully awake, but also because I haven't slept and could be naturally grumpy. But I always find Jesus in the other. 
  3. He is in our midst. Always being open and loving everyone without interest, I can live in the light of Jesus in our midst! I am at peace and despite my physical condition there is  always joy and peace. 
  4. He is in scripture. When I reflect on some writing it does not take long before something strikes me. Today I was struck by this conversation of Chiara's, but also by a beautiful moment of reflection with Callan yesterday on how to prevent our life becoming a routine full of formulas that we may change from time to time. Do I take the various presence of Jesus, of God in my life for granted? Then as a result do I lose the opportunity to live really well my choice of God above everything, even of my being sick? Then there is the sharing of what God has made me understand. Do I give it away without expecting anything in return? Do I keep it to myself instead of using the communion as means to build relationships and have Jesus present amongst us?
  5. Jesus. you are in the Eucharist. I'm so used to going to receive Jesus, mass sometimes becomes a little burdensome: I have to go to Mass! The shorter, the better because we can get on with our lives. A side effect of surgery and medicine is that I can not talk very quickly. I have to say the words one by one. What a gift! I have time to reflect on the prayers in the morning and evening, at mass! Jesus, I want to be with you, you're my everything! How come I am always in a hurry when you're the one who does everything, who guides everything including the movement, your movement? I reflect on the fact that for example, if Emmaus came here now, everybody including me would drop everything to be with her if not for her at least for her role. Why then do I talk to Jesus, who is much closer to me,  much more important in my life, in a hurry, when I can fit him in? Jesus I'm sorry for all the times I've put other things above you!
  6. In the ecclesiastical hierarchy. Maybe for me this presence less frequent, but I can always be prepared as last Sunday when I met the auxiliary bishop. I am prepared to respond to Jesus when he asks me how I am, what do I do?
In short, a beautiful meditation and conversion! Jesus, you're still a genius! You give me many opportunities to live with you during the day. Your presence has an effect on my life in the present. 

There is nothing routine, because Jesus leads me to be outside of myself to live and love each person in the present moment, as he did even on the cross! So living in this way even in the most darkest moments I am never alone, because there is always a brother or sister to love and then there is always Jesus present! What a paradise! How can I not be happy, even when physically I am struggling today because of drugs!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Manfred. Thanks for all this sharing. It really must be an effort to write so frequently and it is a beautiful gift for us. With you all the way. Angela M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually it is a great help for me to always focus on the essential. It reminds me that God's love is immense and very real. That love needs to be shared, because it is not just a gift for me! The effort for me lies in the fact of not writing too much. I never feel I have said adequately what I am living!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if it is not adequate to you, it is enough for me to help me to to live with you. Last night when I could not find words to pray and just wanted to be in the presence of the trinity, I suddenly felt that Chiara was very close to you. And that's what we are asking for isn't it? Angela

      Delete
  3. Angela, what can I say? God's love is just wonderful and never ending and can never be surpassed. Thanks for that, really from my heart.

    ReplyDelete