Thursday 20 September 2012

A powerful source of life

Today I was struggling a bit with the concept of doing and being. Three examples made me think about this. The first was a moment in which I had a number of things to do. I had them in my mind and therefore did not want to miss the people after mass. In the process I was not really in the present moment and only greeted some people very fleetingly. In the event the people I was after were engaged in other conversations and then left. The second was in church when the priest at the end of mass said he had to rush away to something else and would not have time to greet people. I noticed that the same priest is always on the move, like a whirlwind! He "does" a lot, and I suspect a lot of very good things! I wondered what is first the ministry or the choice of God? The third example is to do with my involvement with the organisation of a Youth Festival. I noticed how difficult it is to loose, loose my idea, my proposal, my inspiration, in order that God, the Holy Spirit can really be at work! I also noticed that due to my limited health I am no longer able to be involved due to the choice in venue and the lack of lifts. We all want the same good and noble thing, ie that the festival is a real moment of God and yet, it seems to me that we do not let him in to actually guide the festival. It is always us in one form or another, because we don't know how to loose! Loose everything in order that Jesus can be amongst us!

If I am immersed in God, with God at the top of my priority list, does that mean I do nothing? How does my day to day life which is made up of things fit around this. Then sharing these thoughts we found the answers together. If I trust God in the little he will do the big things for me too. So, be love for the person next to me in the present moment means for me to stay there with them, 100% as if they were the only people I need to love. After all I meet Jesus in them! He is my all and I trust he will take care of the things I needed to do, which were after all for him. Regards the priest I can offer the suffering of not being able to speak to him ever for more than a minute. Loving him means not to want to change him, not to want him to become like me, because he is not me! DIM? God will give me an opportunity to meet with him when it is the right moment.

Equally Jesus gave me to understand that it is not I who is the main protagonist, but Jesus! The only thing I have to do is love the others not because I want to change the way it should be done, but because they all are his gift for me. So, if the meeting venue is not suitable for me, or the programme already made up and decisions made by one person, should all this be in the way of the relationship between me and my neighbour. DIM? No, because in that suffering I can love like Jesus did on the cross and he remains the most important thing in my life.

The fact that I may have understood what it means to be constantly immersed in God does not mean I have to foist my understanding on my neighbour! DIM? God loves me and everybody immensely and part of that love is the freedom he gives us. Equally, if I really love my neighbour I have to leave him/her completely free.

The only thing that matters is God in the first place, above all else, God in my neighbour so that he can be amongst us. What a powerful source of life!  

No comments:

Post a Comment