Wednesday 26 December 2012

What a day it promises to be!

Reflecting a little I asked myself: Can I sit in judgement over what others say or do? What if I am at the receiving end of such judgement? God’s love for me is unconditional and it leaves me free, free also to act against him! This is the measure of love I must strive for and loving my neighbour as God loves me means:

a) To be the first to pass on God’s love to my neighbour in the present. If God loves me unconditionally I can’t keep that love to myself. It will die. 

b) To be in this attitude of love always. Yesterday I read the homily of Arch V Nicholls for Christmas and my first reaction was one of judging what he was saying. It was not love, or the belief that he was trying to love me and all those in entrusted to him by God. Does God see him in that light? Do I love him as God’s gift of love for me? 

c) To give everything without expecting anything in return. Yesterday I was with friends and one of them is games enthusiastic! I am not; I don’t like them anymore! I remembered my initial reaction to the proposal was a judgement: He should let go, listen to others, do something else! Then a second thought: I should let go, give all of my energy to make the thing work, perhaps even make a joke about not liking it but giving without expecting anything in return. I got the hundredfold with the opportunity to be with other people that I normally don’t see very often in such a relaxed atmosphere of deep mutual love! I spent all my physical energy being so tired that I slept all afternoon. But then, having given everything God’s love is never outdone! Gifts continue to arrive from all over:
a. A surprise phone call from Paul, Mary and Mark! It was just a joy to speak with them!
b. A surprise visit from a friend from work.
c. A surprise skype call from a friend.
d. Messages and gifts, through which God keeps telling me how much he loves us and me!
d) To love everybody in the present moment without distinction. My motto for today is “Give to each person I meet warmth, hope and light.” That I can’t do by myself because these come from the love God has for us and for me. 

Another day to be thankful for the gifts of love: for my health, a good night’s sleep, my brothers and sisters, the opportunity to be able to love God in the present moment. Today I dedicate to seeing God’s unique gift of love in each person I meet giving his warmth, hope and light. What a day it promises to be! 

No comments:

Post a Comment