Thursday 27 December 2012

The most mundane act suddenly becomes divine


It is amazing how little I can live with apparent contradictions. First I thought it was a German cultural thing, before I realised it is perhaps part of my condition as human being. I can only deal with one thing at a time. But there is another dimension The life of the Trinity, which is love. God gives himself totally out of love, totally meaning there is nothing left, out of love. If God loves us so completely he commands us to love one another so completely: Love one another as I have loved you! And he has given us the means to be perfect in that love:

a) Our spirituality of communion, ie to live our lives together, to go to God together by sharing what he does in my life, by being open to the love of my neighbour, by really putting myself into the shoes of the other losing my ideas and opinions.
b) We go to God together. I – my brother and sister – God. My neighbour is God’s love for me, warts and all!
c) Jesus on the Cross has shown me what kind of love God is living. I want to live in such a way that I can be at least a little bit of a gift of love for Jesus on the Cross.
d) The ability to have a relationship with him always through prayer, scripture, the Church, nature but most of all through his presence amongst us, when we love one another.
e) The opportunity to always start again should we have missed a moment!
f) The present moment, which is all I have to live.

There are other things to help me to love. The important thing for me is to remember they are all means to increase God’s love for my neighbour. I often find it easier to go through the “list” thinking I have done it all, but the vital ingredient is missing: Love. All I do can be an expression of love in the present which is my only way to live for eternity, because all that is done out of love will remain. God love us immensely and he wants us all to live in that knowledge, as his free sons and daughters knowing that he can be amongst us always. Is there anything greater than for us to live in the presence of God in our daily lives? Everything becomes special, full of his presence if we act, speak and move as an expression of his love for one another! In fact the most mundane act suddenly becomes divine! Today I dedicate to making simple acts divine through God’s love for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment