Sunday 12 August 2012

You are my only good

Yesterday I went to an event at the Olympics and I was struck by three things:
  1. The determination of all the athletes focussed to such an extent that they were oblivious to what was going on around them. It made me think: Am I as focussed loving my neighbour in the present moment? Or get I distracted by many things that intrude into that moment?
  2. Even though they ran in the race and were visible, each athlete was an expression of many others behind the scenes. If all went well all were happy, if things did not work out all were concerned. The working together was an expression of communion. Even though it was for one purpose only, how much more could I achieve if I live in communion with the other: We would bring the Trinity to the world!!
  3. Finally I was struck that in interviews the individual never spoke of their own achievements, but they were very conscious of the hidden work of many others! Am I conscious of our collective sanctity? Its not who is going to God but us!
A good lesson for me, anyway. 
The "more" is God, and it was he who chose us, that he calls us to be his collaborators. What more do we want? And that's why we're not even thinking: "But is it better now? Was it better yesterday? Will be better tomorrow?". The moment of God is the best. God is always present, there is no before and after, there is no yesterday and tomorrow for God, as there is for us. But God is always present, God works, God is working in history, God is working in the history of each one of us, in the history of our Movement, in the history of the Church, in the history of the churches in the history of humanity, and he honours us by calling us to be his collaborators. What more do we want? Let us feel rich, lucky for this wonderful thing that has happened, that happened to us, because we too, maybe we could say: "But I, yes, of course, my whole life is a commitment, right (...) I work for God, I promise, I give everything to God. "But here we must be aware that God is the all of our lives, not even the commitment to him, not even giving the day or live for the Opera with all our selves. No, the most important person is God, first of all there is God!
Emmaus was talking to the focolarine in Rome. But nevertheless, if God is not at the centre of my life, that is love my neighbour, than other things will be. So for me today: you are my only good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment