Thursday 9 August 2012

Jesus amongst us

In the last few days I have become much more aware of the beauty of life, because we all can give in small ways. I notice that nothing happens in a big way unless there are many small contributions. I was thinking today for moment that I would want to be around this place a bit longer until I spoke to a good friend who has just accompanied her mother to paradise. It dawned on me that I am made for life with God! He wants me in paradise, he wants us in paradise! Perhaps I got too used to this world of suffering and imperfections that I can't imagine anything better. Would I want to live here forever? Certainly not!
It is very true that we are made to travel together. The more I go ahead the more I become aware of this! It is my neighbour who gives me life really. And I can do the same even now. This morning I had a text from someone who then was considering leaving her family. I shared this with a friend and by living together for this person by evening I had a text saying that my reply had really helped. It wasn't really my reply. It really was our reply! The friend I shared this with gave me so much light in a simple way to know what to say.

Then in the evening I had another communication from a friend. Here is a bit of the dialogue:

Friend: X going into hosp this morning. She has developed fluid again around her lungs but this time it is pressing on her heart causing her breathing difficulties and these incredibly painful spasms just below her ribs. poor girl can't think clearly. I wonder when this sodding thing will give us a break. Things are really hard at the minute.
Me: Y, I can imagine a little how it must be. Listening to you and her I wished I could do something. The only thing that comes to mind is thinking of you both and hope you can have the strength to stay in the present. right now its all you have! Its a long haul! I am with both of you!
Friend: Thanks mate. That means a lot.
Me: You are never alone, mate. I will always be there if only in spirit. Together we make it!
Friend: Absolutely!!
Then a long conversation with my brother. A real gift! I am privileged twice, because of a great brother and because we can have Jesus amongst us. Every one of the people today have given me something precious, something that has made me the person I am. 

Jesus, suddenly everything makes sense.You are with me all the time. I just need to believe it and find you in my neighbour in the present moment! You are a constant gift to us, if we love one another above all else. How mind blowing is this: To have a God amongst us!

I came across a marvellous song, a Gregorian chant written by St Thomas Aquinas. This version is very moving (http://youtu.be/r3H5f7oePQE). It talks about the wonder of the presence of Jesus in the Eucharist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment