Saturday 25 August 2012

The dream team

I realize how important it is that we do not suffer alone! Yesterday I received the news of a friend who is very seriously ill. In fact she is dying. Her husband naturally finds it all very difficult especially because it does not make sense.  I wanted to do something to make it all go away, but ... I do not know how. Then I discovered that communicating this moment that reminded me of my mortality in a very acute and profound way with Frank, Maria and some friends others was a key. When you can do nothing but say that you think of the other person and live, dedicate your present life to him or her, again you become aware that many things really are not as important as they seem! It is in that moment that Jesus on the cross is really close! Jesus, the powerless, the one who is unable to take away the pain, the one in apparently senseless pain!!

Be in some way together with one another in those moments is terrific, because it never stops me from loving from being outside myself, perhaps with great effort, but nonetheless! Whilst I can't suffer the same pain, because each one of us is alone in that, at least I can make it easier by being along side, perhaps in silence! Mary under the cross was simply there and I am sure it made all the difference to Jesus on the cross. She, St John and Jesus were the dream team then, Maria, Stacey, me and Jesus are the dream team now. No grand activity, but simple being there for each other now as then! I am sure that we are truly "made" to be with others in the joys and deepest sorrows. 

Loving Jesus in these moments I still manage to discover the gifts of love God gives us in these moments, such as the immensity of his love for me (true value of life in the present), the chance of my love for him in the present, the immense gift of his presence amongst us (value of friendship), the chance of becoming saints together (meaning of travelling together). In the midst of the difficulty I find myself smiling for these beautiful gifts. So even if some times through tears I can always honestly say:  Jesus you are my only good!!Life is beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment