Saturday 4 August 2012

Thanks for all your love

If we are united Jesus is among us. (...) And then we live the life that He gives us, moment by moment. It is the fundamental commandment of fraternal charity: "Ante omnia ..." (cf. 1 Pet 4.8). So all has value that is an expression of sincere brotherly love. Nothing has value if in it there is not  the sentiment of love for the brethren: for God is Father and has in his heart always and only his children. (Chiara)
Chiara's reflection is very beautiful It seems very simple but at the same time a great challenge, because it depends not only on me but on us that there is mutual love and therefore the presence of Jesus amongst us.
Yesterday I had a day full of challenges to mutual love. First of all, Frank was in the hospital for some test. A sudden change and a challenge to believe in God's love for us. I offered my day for Frank in particular. I saw that God always takes me seriously when I offer him anything. At the same time that Frank had the medical examination I was talking to my bosses about my future at work. It seemed very clear in my head that returning to work full time as before was not possible. Even to go back part time seems in doubt. I felt that God was asking me to leave work, to give it to him as a gift. If you give someone a gift you don't have it any more, because you have given it away. It was an addition to the list of gifts in these last few months: First there is my health, then my independence, then the various activities that I am not able to follow through, then the driving licence, then the taste for food, then the job! All things that I like very much!
Jesus, I may not have always willingly made you all these gifts. So here is my chance: All is yours. Then I got the hundredfold: I'm still pretty good without pain! I live with you in our midst here at home free from many things! You gave me the opportunity to live and do small things for the Opera. Instead of doing all kinds of things and being very active you give me time to live the present moment well, anchored in your love as my big brother. The love of my brothers is an opportunity to eat more and make the effort. The talents you have given me for work I can use for your Opera! But above all, you gave me the gift of being much more focused on the life with you in our midst and in me. You really have become much more "my only good". Then with my brother and sisters we can give life to the Opera with the Holy Spirit showing us what to do next!
I realised that loving the other person means to be constantly on the alert that "things" do not get in the way of relationships, because then love is no longer love. So, more often now than before I will ask myself during a conversation: Is the other still the most important thing in the present, or has it become the things we talk about? Still need to start again many times. 

Jesus, with all this I am struck by the great gift of your presence! God, the Trinity, amongst us, like Mary, that is, without much fuss, but simply there. A first taste of paradise in the midst of this world?

1 comment:

  1. So glad to be in the loop since was given this link at Mariapolis.
    One with you in your journey, Jean C

    ReplyDelete