Thursday 18 October 2012

Without love there is no joy and no peace

Yesterday and today through various conversations I understood something very important, but also very simple: Jesus wants me, wants us to love him in the person next to us in the present moment!
When I listened to Chiara's reflection on Jesus in our neighbour at first I was very scared when she read the passage on the last judgement. Then sharing my thoughts I understood more fully what Jesus was actually saying: Are we not all poor, imprisoned or ill, in one way or another suffering from our hang ups, psychological limits and physical illness, our imperfections? Is it not that Jesus in the person next to me who is asking to be loved in their particular situation in that present moment?
How many times have I ignored Jesus' request to spend some time with him, allow him to visit me, fix his computer, make a call, to accept him as he is warts and all?So love is making myself the other, taking the time 

I had a very useful meeting with an advisor regarding my medical retirement and instead of being here for 30 min we talked for almost two hours. I realised that only too often I would like to have a rules for everything. Perhaps it's a German thing. So what's the rule for loving my neighbour? When do I know I am loving my neighbour? It's all very simple, really!

Loving my neighbour is without interest. I don't expect anything in return. Loving my neighbour makes him/her happy. Loving my neighbour brings me peace and joy. I can hear people say I have given all this and look what I get in return or look what he has done with it!

Am I not interested then? Interested in a return, a rewards of some kind? Does my love leave the other completely free? I look at the way God loves me in every moment and I find that I am totally free, no rules, no conditions, no demands. He loves me that way I am! That is the great thing about God! 

There is my big clue; Love the person next to me in the present as they are. Jesus is with them as he is with me! To love in this way means to love as Jesus loved me,us on the cross. I don't stop at the pain, but continue to give, because that is God's love, willing to die for me, a miserable creature. 

Let's keep it simple. I ask God to love him in my neighbour every moment of the day as I know how. I also ask him to tell me through my neighbour if my love is not love. I know, but without love there is no joy and no peace. Simple, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment