Sunday 13 January 2013

The present


In a talk by Emmaus I came across an episode of a Father of the Coptic Orthodox Church, Anba Bishoy, of whom is said that he always saw Jesus and spoke with Him.  
Once his disciples said: “But why only to you? Why don’t you ask Jesus to speak with us too? Why don’t you ask Jesus to meet us as well at least once?”
                So he said. “I’ll ask Him.” He asked Jesus and Jesus replied: “All right, on such and such a day at such and such a time I’ll meet your disciples.” Naturally Anba Bishoy told his disciples: “Look, Jesus accepted this meeting, therefore on such and such a day and at such and such a time….” You can imagine everyone’s excitement; everyone had to go to that precise place. Everyone looked for the most beautiful dress, prepared themselves as best as possible for the meeting with Jesus. And they started walking to go and meet Jesus.
                Along the way there was an old man who started asking the first person: “Take me with you, I’m tired, can you help me?” And this person said: “In this moment I’m in too much of a hurry, you’ll see there’ll be someone else.” And away he went.
                “Will you take me with you?” Everyone had the good excuse that they were busy, because they had to rush immediately because Jesus was waiting for them and they didn’t stop.
                The last person who passed by was Anba Bishoy, who had compassion for this old man, he placed him on his shoulders and went on his way. And the only one who met Jesus was Anba Bishoy and all the others had lost the opportunity.
I like this story, because it very much points me to live the present moment, and to love in the present moment! The only thing I have is the present: My life is now, and not yesterday or tomorrow. All that  remains for me is to give my all in the present moment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment