Wednesday 2 January 2013

A real gift

Whenever I make a broadcast like this one, I’m acutely aware of the gap between what I’m seeing here and what you’re looking at, at home.  You see me now sitting quietly in my study. What I’m seeing is a small crowd of wonderfully expert and efficient technicians doing the filming, meticulously checking the pictures and the sound.  What we see happening is only a small part of what’s going on in order to make it happen.
I read the last broadcast
(http://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/articles.php/2777/archbishop-appreciate-the-silent-conspiracy-of-generous-dedication) of Dr Rowan Williams and it struck me quite profoundly in many ways. He points to a fundamental human condition of being limited by time and space which lead me to reflect that I on my own I cannot have a complete picture of the reality around me as God sees it. Below is the link to the full text. Thinking of being love for my neighbour I realise that I need to be in God and I need to live in communion with my neighbour, both of which Dr Williams is! 
It is amazing how quickly I make judgements based on incomplete information! Is this love and is this the love with which God love me? Are time and space the only dimensions in my life? Below he gives the answer that come from a deep relationship with God. 
And as we think about this silent groundswell, perhaps our minds can begin to open up to the deepest secret of all – the trust that the entire universe is held together by the quiet, unfailing generosity of God.  What we see and grasp isn’t the whole story – but just occasionally we can get a glimpse.  I hope there will be lots of joyful glimpses like that for you in the year ahead.
Yes we can see a glimpse of the dimension of God’s life, his love for us, if we are that reality, ie if I am ready to love my neighbour without expecting anything in return, giving all I have in the present moment and thereby being always in relationship with God! But it all encourages me to live evermore in communion with my neighbour, because in giving, out of love I can not only glimpse the reality, but together we can be that divine reality. I was quite moved by the broadcast, because it gives the true vision, which includes the way God sees things! What seems a contradiction suddenly shows me the way to being more complete in my vision and in that Dr Williams has been a real gift! 

No comments:

Post a Comment