Thursday 4 April 2013

Living the present in communion


Yesterday, during mass I was reminded how much my life is in God’s hands. Although it looks as if I am currently as well as possible, it does not distract form the fact that I am at high risk of strokes, bleedings and infections that could be fatal! Also the advancement of the tumour could precipitate and make me unwell. Naturally, these are things that worry and because of these worries I would not live fully in the present. But then I read:
The important thing is that the present, the only thing in your hands, not escape you. In it love God with all your heart, doing his will.
Chiara Lubich, Essential Writings, New City London, p 75)
Again I reflect how easy I am distracted by so called practical things without handing them over to God, being concerned only to see the others in love. Then all these things will take their place. It is a new radical way of approaching things putting love first. I found another powerful reflection on living the present:
There are periods in life when time is lived up sip by sip. With holy trepidation you attend, for example, to every moment, every word, every glance, every breath of a loved one facing eternity. That last stage of life becomes valuable because now we are standing at the threshold of death: it is eternity that gives true significance to time. Perhaps it would be a good idea to take each instant of our life sip by sip and, grasping the fleeting moment, live it in love for God, and nail it down for eternity.
(Chiara Lubich, Essential Writings, New City London, p 75)
I only asked God to give me more time to love him in my neighbour more perfectly, allow his love, which is communion, to spread according to his will! In amongst all the distractions I miss on very precious thing:
One thing alone is beautiful, lovable, attractive, useful, radiant: What God wants of [me] in the present moment.
(Chiara Lubich, Essential Writings, New City London, p 76)
How many times do I fail to see that! Put in communion the light comes loving the other in the present!

No comments:

Post a Comment