Sunday 3 February 2013

“Nothing has value if it’s not done out of love”


I find these words so consoling, because they give value to the simplest act or gesture. As someone who wants to live the words of scripture, I have to believe that everybody that passes in the present moment is a gift for me. It may not be that obvious, but the reality is there. God has created each one of us as gift for each other. In the same way if I believe that he is love, he cannot but love me though all the circumstances in life. Everything then becomes an expression of God’s love for me. That means my response of loving him in my neighbour has immense value, because it is God himself who loves! Today’s letter of St Paul is a great meditation for me:
If I have all the eloquence of men or of angels, but speak without love, I am simply a gong booming or a cymbal clashing. If I have the gift of prophecy, understanding all the mysteries there are, and knowing everything, and if I have faith in all its fullness, to move mountains, but without love, then I am nothing at all. If I give away all that I possess, piece by piece, and if I even let them take my body to burn it, but am without love, it will do me no good whatever.
It is a constant reminder of not what I do but how I do it. I give my life for noble cause without love, without loving my neighbour it has no value. St Paul is very strong and it is a good exam of conscience for me, because above all I have to love, the rest really doesn't matter! It is turning everything upside down.
Love is always patient and kind; it is never jealous; love is never boastful or conceited; it is never rude or selfish; it does not take offence, and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people’s sins but delights in the truth; it is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes.
This is God who is love. A love that is universal, if includes everybody. All too often I find myself looking at others in categories: family – not family, focolare – not focolare, catholic – non catholic, Christian – non Christian, healthy – sick; and many more. God’s love is universal! If I want to love him my love has to be universal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment